Easy Chicken Satay With Homemade Peanut Sauce
Our succulent, turmeric-marinated chicken satay skewers with rich, creamy homemade peanut sauce puts even the best Thai restaurant chicken satay to shame.
Homemade peanut sauce is something that everyone should master. It comes together quick and it makes everything taste delicious. Pro-tip: a bowl of peanut sauce for dipping is like pixie dust for picky eaters. Serve it with veggies and watch them magically disappear. Oh, and it’s especially good when paired with classic chicken satay! Marinated, then skewered and grilled, chicken satay makes for a fun weeknight supper or an out-of-the-ordinary appetizer for company. Dancing with flavors like ginger, coconut, turmeric and garlic, skewers of chicken satay with peanut sauce are so tender, and so extraordinarily scrumptious. What are you waiting for?
How to Make Chicken Satay:
Grilled chicken skewers are quite possibly the perfect company food. You marinate them ahead of time—at least two hours, or overnight—and so when your guests arrive, all you need to do is pop the marinated chicken on the grill. Here’s the step-by-step:
- Mix your marinade. Add coconut milk, garlic cloves, turmeric, cilantro, brown sugar, fish sauce and salt to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Place your chicken breast pieces between two pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap, and pound them until they’re nice and thin.
- Drizzle the marinade over your chicken, and let time do the rest!
- Two hours later (or the next day), it’s time to skewer your chicken! If your kids are big enough, this is a fun job for them to help with (just be sure there’s some thorough hand-washing afterward.)
- Grill! About two minutes on each side, depending on how hot your grill is. **You can also use an indoor grill for this step.
How to Make Homemade Peanut Sauce:
This peanut sauce recipe has no dairy in it, yet is incredibly rich and creamy because it's made with coconut milk. It's also completely gluten free. Win, win. Incredibly versatile, flavor packed, it has that perfect balance of just slightly spicy and so, so rich and savory. Make it, put it on everything, love it as much as we do.
Here’s how to make our chicken satay sauce! In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine:
- full-fat coconut milk
- Thai red curry paste (this one is our favorite)
- unsweetened natural peanut butter
- apple cider vinegar
Bring the ingredients to a low simmer and cook for five minutes, stirring continually so the peanut sauce doesn’t burn. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. The sauce can be stored for up to a week. If it gets too thick, just warm it on the stove with a few drops of water.
How to Make the Best Chicken Satay Even Better:
Serve it with a cooling cucumber salad! Grilled chicken skewers, a big bowl of peanut sauce for dipping and a tangy cucumber salad is our idea of the ideal summer dinner. Big, bold flavors and no oven required! Our favorite cucumber salad is a simple one. Just combine:
- Cucumber (seeded and sliced)
- Rice vinegar
- Sea salt
- Red pepper flakes
- Sesame oil
- Green onion