- 2 tablespoons canola oil (plus more for grilling)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (plus 1 teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger (finely grated)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds hanger steak
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Granny Smith apple (small peeled and julienned)
- 1 cucumber (small julienned)
- 1 cup cabbage kimchi with juices (chopped)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Sliced scallion (for garnish)
In a large bowl, combine the canola oil and 3 tablespoons of the sugar with the soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and shallot; season with salt and pepper. Add the steak and let stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the vinegar and remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar. Stir in the apple, cucumber and kimchi; season with salt and chill.
Thinly slice the steak, top with sesame seeds and scallion and serve with the slaw.